About six months ago, I finished writing my first novel. Just completing it was quite an achievement considering I had been pecking away at it for over five years. (It was supposed to be done before I was 40 so I was only a little behind schedule.)
Well, I’d like to think I’ve made up for the delay this week because I’ve just finished writing my second book in record time. I feel like I’ve found a sweet spot in my creativity and have been happier for it.
Today I turned 43. It’s not a significant birthday or a milestone, it just marks the passing of another year. However, this has been a good year so I’m going to think of this as a good birthday.
I’m not sure what my 44th year has in store for me. I’d like to think it will involve some movement towards publication of my novels, but even if it doesn’t, I will keep writing. Writing has become part of who I am, something I have to do every day or else I feel incomplete.
My pledge for this year is to have more confidence in my writing. Although I’ve had a lot of success with my non-fiction work, my current instinct is to be dismissive of my fiction writing because I have yet to land a publication deal. I still find it hard to call myself a writer.
What I need to accept is that I’m a writer because I write, the same way I am a knitter because I knit. It is the creative process that is important, not the sale of the product.
I’ve had a lovely start to my day. My boys took me out to brunch and I was feted in style. Now I intend to relax, and of course, get some writing in.
Happy birthday to me!
In high school, my girlfriends and I were obsessed with the movie Dead Poets Society. I’m not sure if that was because we wished we had a teacher like Robin Williams or a boyfriend like Ethan Hawke… perhaps both. Continue reading →
1) The sun shone – we’ve had too many grey days lately.
2) I had “Happy Birthday” sung to me 5 times before 8 am – one was a call from my parents, the other four were my six-year-old.
3) I reconnected with friends on Facebook and got some great birthday wishes – thanks everyone! Love you.
4) I had a fantastic day at work – everyone was in a great mood (I think it’s the sun!)
5) I didn’t make dinner – we ordered in Thai from the amazing restaurant around the corner.
6) My kids gave me a wonderful card – they had worked on it in their rooms to keep it a secret.
7) BDN (beautifully dressed neighbour) and family knocked on my door – hubby played guitar while they serenaded me on the porch. It was wonderful!
8) My family gave me an iPad mini and keyboard – they are fantastically supportive of my writing!
9) My sister called and played a hilarious recorded message from my brother-in-law – she married a great guy. We have a double-date on Friday!
10) My best friend called from Waterloo – she made me laugh until my belly hurt!
11) I snuck into the kids’ rooms and gave them extra kisses – they both had their animals snug in the crooks of their elbows. So cute when they’re asleep!
It was a good day.
Have you seen my youth?
Continue reading →
I like cake. I like to eat it and I like to bake it, but I LOVE to decorate it. Here are a few pictures of cakes I’ve made for birthday parties over the recent years:
The Star Wars cake was the boys’ request last year and is my personal favorite. The Ewok is a little wonky hanging off the side, but I made a figure for each of them and only later realized I had nowhere to put it! Continue reading →